I ALWAYS AWED THE ART OF COOKING AND ALWAYS

TREASURED THE RECIPES THAT RUN IN THE FAMILY. HERE IS AN EFFORT TO SAVE AND

SHARE THE SAME. THANK YOU FOR VISITING ME HERE.




Wednesday 3 June 2009

Simple Tomato Rasam

Ingredients
Tamarind pulp (thick) – ¼ Cup
Ripe Tomatoes – 2 no. medium size
Garlic Pods – 4 no.
Bunch of coriander leaves
Curry leaves, Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, red chillies, Asafetida/hing – for seasoning.

If you have VADAVAM, use that for seasoning.

Now that I mentioned Vadavam I want to add few words about it. Vadavam is made of 19 ingredients, which are used in seasoning. All these ingredients are mixed with castor oil and are allowed to dry for few days. The dried vadvam is made into small ball and stored in dry jar to be used for rest of the year.



Vadavam rasam is one of the best I ever tasted. But unfortunately it is not very easy to make. I was lucky to get it from my husband’s aunt who is from Tirchy. I use it occasionally.

I heard it is available at few stores in Chennai.





Procedure:

Mix the tamarind pulp, finely chopped tomatoes, coriander leaves and½ tsp of turmeric to 2 cups of water. Allow it to boil for 5 minutes. Crush 2 pods of garlic and leave it for 5 more minutes. Season the rasam with the Curry leaves, Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, red chillies, Asafetida and garlic pods in little oil .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i made ur version of rasam of dinner today.came out nice :)